There are three things that are stopping me from building my own clock:

1) I only like simple shinny metal and glass, neither of which I can build or
design on my own.

2) I only would consider direct drive circuits. If I needed to reduce the brightness, I would PWM it myself, but I do not want the multiplex circuit limiting the maximum brightness.

3) Time.  Creating a direct drive PCB from scratch is a bit much.

I would prefer a simple Arduino shield or daughter board, but it is difficult to find something that is direct drive and in a form factor that is appropriate for a clock. I would prefer something using https://pinocc.io/ so that I can get time from NTP instead of GPS.