> Nick: Hi, I use TM because I was lucky to get few for reasonable price from
> local bancrupted research company, together with all the accessories. Diff
> pump are much cheaper, they need practically no maintenance (when used right
> way), but they it takes much longer time to start it up and also the cool
> down. TM is more flexible in this way and saves a lot of time, especially
> during development. And TM pump also provides oil-free operation, which is
> good, but essential matter in nixie tube making.

TM pumps are noisy beasts, but they really do manage excellent volume at low
pressure.  Maintenance is pretty simple, just lube the gears every few months I
think.  Their monstrous capacity (I used to work with a small one that could
manage 1200 liters per second) lets you get 10E-6 torr fairly quickly with a
small enclosure and not a lot of special effort.  With a little effort, some
time, and maybe an ion pump or two to help, you can get 10E-8 torr.

I got tired of the constant noise, so I built a box to cover ours out of
acoustical tile.  It helped a lot.  The thing was quieter after it got
lubricated too, so I'd do it 3-4x a year instead of 2.

- John