  From: Paul Parry
  To: neonixie-l@googlegroups.com
  Sent: Thursday, February 19, 2015 1:54 AM
  Subject: [neonixie-l] Re: For Steampunk Nixie Clock Fans..

  Hi Nick,

  Many thanks, I'm hoping to get a bit of good press from it :)

  The Beam engine is actually driven by a small electric motor ( out of an old
turntable as it has all the speed controller electronics built in to the rear
of the motor ) it is hidden away inside a brass mainspring housing, the drive
wheel engages with the flywheel of the Beam engine. It is made to look like the
engine is turning a small dynamo that powers the clock.

  The clock is located in a public area, so for Health and safety reasons I
could not have any sources of ignition, or risk it setting off any fire alarms.
The Steam is just mist, you can get these piezo based water mister things that
produce a fog out of water, I just re engineered one to suit the clock, the
brass cylinder underneath contains a water reservoir.

  In answer to Terry's question, the Humidity in Singapore where the clock is
located is usually 80% plus so I don't think it will add much. It is more a
novelty feature and doesn't run all the time, just on a 30 second timer when
you press a button on the side.

  Paul