On Tuesday, 24 February 2015 08:18:16 UTC, Paul Parry wrote:

> I can feel this wandering off Topic slight.. Again.. LOL

It doesn't matter in this case. Believe me :)

> What a wonderful use for a 5C/3023. I did mention earlier that I had a bit
> of a fondness for Vintage aircraft, I had a complete Vampire T11 in my
> possession a few years ago XD515 (long story) not the smallest things to
> house so I donated it to RAF Cosford where it resides in the sheds at the
> back awaiting re-assembly.
> Not come across the 'Resin' on the lighting panel, but I know a lot of
> planes of the era had UV lighting in the cockpit that illuminated all the
> dials as they had radium? paint inside that glowed very nicely under UV. It
> could possibly be used to switch on the UV lamps? It was certainly the case
> in my T11.

I've looked at some photos of XD515 - http://flickrhivemind.net/Tags/xd515 -
it was really in poor shape - do you think that it'll ever fly again or
will it be a static display? A major task if ever there was one. Top marks
for stopping it rotting completely - certainly a long-term project !

> Is that your Firefly?

Regrettably (or maybe, "thankfully") not - it was from another forum
(Britmodeller) where we were discussing the true nature of "RESIN" - lot of
argument about it as it was classified and seems to have changed its nature
during its life. It was definitely IFF - not cockpit - the real question
was was it just very dim/near-IR red lights or true IR - no-one seems to
know for sure - some speculation too that is relied on other aircraft
having a "Tabby" system on board...

Cheers

Nick