Greg,

I concur that these are fine things to do. I adjsuted my base-emitter resistor so that it would have about 0.3V across it if the base were disconencted form the circuit and the driving signal was on.

Also, short wires from the driver to the tubes are helpful to reducing crosstalk. I made multiplexed clocks with direct PCB traces from tube to tube under the sockets, and did the timing things you mentioned.

Most importantly, ensure some dead time (~100 usec) between turning off the anode and switching the cathode driver to the next digit's value. That's where I ran into trouble.