If you have an oscilloscope, debug will be easier.

Have you tried biasing the anodes to a lower-voltage during the off state ?
If they are at a voltage lower then the sustaining-voltage, the digits will
stay dark. Typically this is done with a large-ish resistor tied to 1/2 the
HV supply voltage. If that's not convenient, you can use a pulldown
resistor. I would experiment with 1Meg-to-gnd and see if that does the
trick. If the glow is less, then try a slightly lower value. You want to
use as high a resistance as possible to minimize wasted energy.

As far as the cause, my first guess is the anode transistor is a tad leaky.
I didn't look-up the datasheet info, but if Vceo (bipolar) of Vdsmax
(NMOS/PMOS) is less than the anode supply voltage, you're entering a
gray-area (yes, I'm aware that people use lower-rated Vceo  devices because
of the voltage-drop across the tube. I never do, but it's my money so I
spend a bit more for over-designed devices). Next, check the leakage
currents (Icbo, Iebo). Bipolar devices should be well under 1uA. I
typically choose devices at 100nA or less because of transistor 'beta'. For
NMOS/PMOS, I try to get Idss around 1uA, but my first clock was 25uA and it
works fine.

Forget about tube capacitance; I measured less than 10pF on my 5092''s

Someone already mentioned direct-drive, and all my designs use direct-drive
(even my wristwatch). Not sure if that's an option for you at this point.