I would recommend a newer clock chip, such as the DS3231, and focus the
clock design towards the most important devices (nixie tubes). The DS3231
is quite accurate, has all the battery-backup functions, and you can
purchase small, inexpensive, and ready-to-use PCBs online. It's an I2C
interface, so obviously it wont direct-drive nixies or even nixie-drivers.

My latest clock designs use a separate driver board, so I can switch to a
different tube just by redoing another driver PCB.