On Tuesday, August 18, 2015 at 4:06:18 PM UTC-4, Hugh Pryor wrote:

> I guess I have a steep learning curve in front of me - which is exactly
> why I want to do this.
>
> If you can point me in the right direction that would be brilliant!

I believe the IV-25 are like the IV-26 and don't have a control grid. That
means you can't multiplex the tubes but need a driver for each dot (instead
of having 7 dot drivers and a driver for each tube's grid). That makes
constructing large displays out of these tubes rather unwieldy. The main
use for the IV-26 tubes, the Elektronika 7 series of clocks, "cheated" by
tying some dots together and leaving other dots unconnected as they would
never be lit on the clock.

If you decide to move up to the larger IV-26 tubes, be aware that there are
3 types. Type 1 has all of the individual dots brought out separately. Type
2 is for a horizontal group of 12 (or 11) tubes, while Type 3 is for a
vertical group of 4 tubes. Types 2 and 3 have dots tied together inside the
tube.

The brightness curve for the IV-26 is somewhat unsatisfactory - the dots
don't illuminate evenly until 100 hours or so of operation, and after a few
thousand hours they start to fade. I don't know if the IV-25 behaves the
same way, but before you start thinking there might be a problem with your
design, let the tubes stabilize for a while.

Just about everything you might want to know about the IV-26 / Elektronika
can be found on my blog: https://www.tmk.com/blog/?s=elektronika