If you are going to sell finished products, your best option is to use an
*external* agency-approved power-supply to produce ~12-18V. Laptop
computers are a good example of this practice. Of course, you'll need an
internal DC-DC converter so it's no longer a linear power supply :-(

Regulations will vary by region, and there are organizations (UL, CSA, VDE,
etc) that can certify your product. If you go that route, it's going to
cost a lot of money and probably not worth the expense for something like
nixie clocks. I'm certain that the transformer construction is a lesser
issue; there are all sorts of things that affect approval.

Another option is to do what I do:  chicken-out and make things only for
yourself.  I take enough risks at my day-job because my employer has cost
and schedule constraints developing their bleeding-edge products. When I
make nixie clocks, I do it at my own leisure with no regard for cost,
complexity, or schedule. I keep working on it until it's perfect. Then I
plug it in for everyone to enjoy.

BTW, at work we call 1.3 volts "high-voltage", and 1.5 volts is
"extremely-high-voltage".  Nobody discusses 1.8 volts anymore because
that's insanely too high to deal with....