On 10/02/2015 03:07 AM, Dekatron42 wrote:
> Can anyone direct me to a document that says that it is allowed to sell an
> electronic apparatus that uses a primary winding as a secondary winding - I
> spent a lot of time Googling this and I can't find anything.

I'm truly amazed that anyone would think that this sort of triviality
would be written down somewhere.  Just as you wouldn't find, for
example, an official document saying that one can use a 2n3904 as a very
fast avalanche pulse generator. Or any of the millions of other
techniques engineers use to accomplish the job.

If you pay close attention to the NEC, you'll see that most requirements
can be modified or over-ridden by "good engineering judgement".  That
is, a competent engineer can look at a specific situation, determine
that the cook-book requirement doesn't fit and design a solution
specific to the situation.

Of course, the engineer assumes liability for any subsequent
malfunctions, just as an architect does for new building techniques.

I can assume with reasonable certainty that you don't know how the
agency approval (UL, ETL, etc) works.  There's no massive tome on high
that is consulted to determine if a given gadget works.

If you take your new design for a transformer-based wall-wart to ETL,
they will consult their files to see if there is a testing procedure
already on record.  If so, you pay them about $2500 and they test your
gadget against the procedure.

If your gadget covers new area, then you pay them something starting at
about $10k for them to develop the testing procedure.  THEIR engineers
use good engineering judgement based on experience when determining the
testing procedure.  "Is 2500 VDC for 1 minute enough of an interwinding
potential or should it be 4500?"  Based on their collected body of
experience and data, as well as any applicable standards, they'll select
an appropriate value.

Contrary to popular belief, at least here in the US, a product does NOT
have to have agency approval to be marketed and used, except for a few
malignant jurisdictions such as NYC.

At Fluxeon, we decided at start-up not to waste the money on agency
approvals for our portable induction heaters.  We lose a sale here and
there but all in all, that has turned out to be the correct decision.

As Chief Engineer and as a member of the Board, the onus for product
safety falls on my shoulders.  My qualification requirements are vastly
tougher than any agency would require.

A prime example is the output transformer.  It has about 1200 VAC on the
primary and about 60 VAC on the other.  It is also the life safety
barrier separating line voltage from the user.  An agency might require
a safety factor of 5 and require a HiPot test of perhaps 6kVDC for a
minute.

Every transformer is tested at 8kVDC for one minute primary to
secondary.  The prototypes and random samples pulled from production are
tested at 12KV high frequency AC for 12 hours.  High frequency AC is a
much tougher test than DC because the HF generates dielectric losses and
other effects not seen with DC.

> I am also
> concerned about safety and what an insurance company would have to say if a
> fire breaks out and the culprit is the home built equipment which uses a
> primary winding as a secondary winding.

I don't know where this widely believed fiction originated from but at
least in every state I've lived in, homeowner's insurance doesn't look
any further than whether arson was involved.

When I place burned after a computer monitor caught fire in the night,
the adjuster made a copy of the fire marshal’s report, cut me a check
for the policy limit, wished me good luck and left.  All over with in 30
minutes.

John

--
John DeArmond