On 15-10-05 03:44 AM, Jim_Z wrote:

Also note that in the case of power supplies it's not important to UL
whether they really work or not- only that they perform to the UL
requirements which don't typically specify performance values.
Jim

Thinking of this thread bought back a converstaion I had in the 1980s with one of the senior people at what was Commodore Canada. They were just coming out with the Vic-20 and the topic of the conversation got on to CSA.

Basically he told me that they were expected to submit two production samples of each product. CSA would take these and literally torture them to death. for a pwer supply for example, short the output and make sure the fuse blows or it otherwise shuts down. This after drawing twice the rated current for a while and getting neither smoke nor flames. He also talked about the lab dousing the unit with a flammable substance and making sure it did not catch fire.

(at that time before NAFTA items needed a CSA sticker in canada and a UL sticker in the USA. Now several labs can do the tests and put a "C" or "us" or both depending on whose standards are met)

I am sure he was exaggerating somewhat, but his voice was exasperated when he mentioned that they them charged extra if he wanted the test items, which were now totally unusable even for parts - back

I can see the sort of thinking that going into passing those tests when I overworked a blender and it stopped working. The maker had buried a thermal fuse inside the motor. which had opened. not serviceable but it would not catch fire in the UL/CSA tests.

--
Charles MacDonald                 Stittsville Ontario
cm...@zeusprune.ca              Just Beyond the Fringe