Hi gregebert!

Thank you so much for your reply. I've taken a look at the datasheet for
the HV5530 and it seems like it's a no brainer to use this instead of the
transistors to simplify things so I will be taking some time to modify
that. However, I do have a few follow up questions about some things you
said that don't quite make sense to me that I'd like to understand for my
own future benefit. What do you mean when you say the NPN transistors will
only drive out 4.3V? The transistor I was planning on using was the MPSA42
which is a high voltage-power transistor. The datasheet says that Vce is
about 0.5V, so disregarding the anode resistor, if I were to drive the
Nixies with 170V supply, shouldn't the anode see about 165.5V. Also, using
an NPN I thought that the 74HC238 would be sourcing the current rather than
sinking it. Am I incorrect in this thinking? Thanks again for your reply
and helping me to understand this stuff.

Shep