Hello Shep

Some words about the power supply.
I would change the inductor to a higher value, about 100uH. And RSENSE to
0.05R, which could deliver about 50mA.
C4 is fine, but 4,7u would be enough.

Here is a very fine and detailed power supply using the MAX1771
http://desmith.net/NMdS/Electronics/NixiePSU.html

For direct driving, you could use the HV5122 or a similar device. But you
would need a 5V to 12V level shifter. If you need more info, i can provide.