You definitely want to use a level-shifter for reliable operation. I just
finished a 14-tube nixie clock with HV5530's driven from an FPGA; I use
a MC14504. Some people on this forum have driven HV5530's without a
level-shifter; to me saving a few dollars on parts is silly compared to
spending hundreds on nixie tubes.

If you are going to use more than 1 HV5530 (necessary for a 6-digit clock),
then be careful about cascading the HV5530's. The datasheet info is
incomplete, so it's possible to have a timing-violation if you connect the
serial-out to the serial-in of the next HV5530 *and share the same clock
signal*. Better to use 2 separate serial-data-in signals. In my case, I had
to cascade two HV5530's because my ribbon-cable didn't have enough signals
(a long story), but I used 2 different clocks.

The MC14504 has 6 level-shifters, so you can drive all of the necessary
control signals for 2 HV5530's (clk, data_in, le, bl, pol). It's very easy
to make a mistake on the 'bl' and 'pol' control-signals, so if you decide
to tie them off, make sure you use resistors so you can pull high or low on
the PC board. I drive them from my FPGA.
FYI - The ribbon cable in my clock is over 3 feet long, and in a noisy
electrical environment, it was absolutely necessary to terminate the
clock-lines to control reflections. Even though the cable's impedance is
roughly 120 ohms, I got good results (from simulations and bench
measurements) terminating at 330 ohms. Though terminating at 120 ohms is
best from transmission-line theory, it puts a lot more loading on the
driver. As long as the reflections are well-below the threshold-voltage of
the MC14504, they are harmless.