I'm wondering if there's something we're not seeing on the diagram which is
responsible for the observations - either on it's own or in combination
with the 4K7.

So, short out the 4K7 - does that materially alter what you see? Second,
tell us more about how Vc is generated - is it a reasonably stiff source
for the kinds of currents needed here? Are you sure the voltage applied to
the base is actually the value you are expecting it to be?

I've played extensively with these tubes and also the IN-9, and my
experience is the same as Mike's with respect to the current - I can't
think of an example where I didn't get a full scale signal out of an
IN-13 with 4.5mA to 5mA going through it. They get a bit non-linear right
at the top end, but other than that work fine.

Jon.