Thanks for your note.

Well, you can buy "front end" DMM chips that just do the measuring with no
built in display, but some serial I/O to a processor/display/keyboard
combo. That's my route.

Not settled on the processor, yet. I also play with Raspberry Pis, and
while I might use one for early software development, I have ruled them out
for a place in the final product for a couple of reasons. The most annoying
aspect of my otherwise nice Fluke 289 DMM is the ~10 second boot time. I
want that voltage reading, NOW! Pi's boot in around 30 seconds, and even
though the application is for  a bench meter, I would find that start-up
delay frustrating.  Also, as others have found, Pi's do not take kindly to
just being switched off, without a proper power-down. I need something more
reliable and able to withstand "mild" abuse that that.