Hello.
Far from being an expert and I never troubleshoot these circuits. Yet.

Could I really have 2 bad tubes, that just happen to share a driver? Would
> all the digits fail?
>
> I'm tempted to apply my neon sign tester to the tubes to see if they
> ionize, but I'm a bit fearful about damaging the clock.

So you have not tested the tubes if they're outgassed. Couldn't it be that
they need a higher voltage to ionize? It was the case with a B5094 (symbol
Nixie) that doesn't spring to life unless it sees to 210V, but it glows at
the HVAC test.

If you disconnect the anode resistor and the whole board is left "floating"
there should not be induced current and/or a closed circuit to be damaged.
Unless your tester is very powerful: with mine I have to touch the glass to
get the glow.

What is less risky? Higher voltage or the wireless neon sign tester?

Paolo