On Thursday, February 23, 2017 at 3:20:46 PM UTC-8, NeonJohn wrote:

> You could use the modern version of the old edge-lit displays.  A stack

I pondered that awhile back, but I remember my first-ever digital clock I
built used those same displays (along with stepper relays,
kachunk..kachunk..), and the stacked sheets would reflect and scatter light
from the previous numerals. It got progressively worse at the rearmost
numeral. It was obvious why these displays died-out as nixies became
plentiful.

Thin, anti-glare glass that is etched might do the trick, but I dont have
the tools to do that.

BTW, I literally abandoned that relay clock because the relay contacts were
worn and uncleanable. No regrets.