> My wristwatch uses a 'boost' approach to ionize the display above 180V for
> 25msec, then throttles back between 140 to 160V after the display is stable.
> The saved energy is significant. It's 3-1/2 digits, direct-drive, and uses
> NPN current-regulators for each segment (24 total).

Is that done in software, or what?  It just occurred to me that you could add a
parasitic multiplier "starting circuit" similar to the ones used in helium-neon
laser power supplies to do this automatically*.  However, another multiplier
segment just might produce enough voltage to endanger other components (depends
on what the AC drive voltage is, and the margins on the other components).

* such lasers generally run on 1700V or so, but can require upwards of 10kV to
start

> My bench prototype has been running for over 2 years now on the original
> charge to the battery (3.7V Li-ion, 1050mA-hr). I dont display the time more
> than a few times per week, but the fact it's still operating is amusing. BTW,
> the battery was not new, either. It was used for a few years in my cellphone
> so it's capacity is diminished.

That is both amusing and cool.

- John