Nixie tubes that are run with too low driving current are very susceptible to
cathode poisoning.  Glowing cathodes sputter.  The sputtering is what causes
the gas to glow.  The reason for running within spec range is that when the
cathodes are properly driven, the cathode that is operating will be driven hard
enough so that it will drive off impurities that have been deposited on the
surface of the cathode.  Driving the cathode at too low current will not allow
the normal operation to drive off cumulative deposits from sputtering of other
cathodes.

These cathode deposits can occur from:

·         Long term storage when impurities in the tube will contaminate the
cathode surfaces.  This is why tubes that are NOS and in boxes since 70’s and
80’s will often need to be run for some time in order to get them to completely
glow on all cathodes.

·         Running at too low current means that the cathodes cannot properly
“clean” themselves from deposits of adjacent cathode sputtering.  Higher
currents cause higher excitation of the gas and “heating” of the cathode in
operation.  The higher excitation and heat cause the contaminants to be driven
off of the surface of the cathode in operation.

Running a tube at currents higher than the normal ratings will cause more
overall sputtering but cathodes can clean themselves better.  That is why
higher currents are used to “de-poison” or “clean” a cathode which does not
glow completely due to the contamination on the surface from sputtering or
impurities in the gas.  The downside to high current operation is that the tube
life will be shortened significantly if driven too hard for long periods of
time.

The conclusion is that reducing the drive current below the tube spec is NOT
the way to prevent cathode poisoning, it will actually cause the problem.

Also, pulsed current drive requires higher current levels during the pulse than
continuous drive to achieve the same brightness.  The debate is in the physics
of operation and whether the pulsed current times duty cycle has an equivalent
effect to constant current of the same computed value.  There is a case to be
made that a pulsed tube actually is less susceptible to cathode poisoning but
there is insufficient data regarding the long term life of the tube for pulsed
vs constant current.  I have read conflicting opinions over the usable life of
the same nixie using the different drive techniques for operation.

My experience is that a nixie tube operated in spec, with good seals AND
mercury doping can run for more than 30 years, as evidenced by a clock that I
built in the early 70’s which ran continuously for over 35 years without tube
failure. The brightness was lower after 35 years and some of that was
attributed to silvering on the inside of the glass envelope after many years of
operation.