If I had to guess, one or more electrolytic caps has probably dried-up and
is no longer working as a capacitor. Probably a good idea to replace all of
them with fresh ones. Keep an eye out for corrosion on the PCB from leaky
electrolytics, and be aware that some probably contain PCBs (not printed
circuit boards, but highly toxic *P*oly-*C*hlorinated *B*i-phenyls).

I always got a laugh about cost-cutting by using a neon bulb instead of a
nixie tube for the leading '1' digit.

I bought 2 Fluke 8000 DMMs several years ago (they are LED, not nixie)
because they were very reliable when I was a technician. But they have
accuracy issues, and some of the pushbuttons dont work very well. I'll
probably give them away as-is to anyone willing to pay shipping costs. Some
things dont improve with age....