>From the photo, I see what looks to be a blue electrolytic capacitor at the
top (photo is clipped). It's a long-shot, but that's almost 50 years old so
I wonder if it dried-out. I had the same thing happen to me with a Heathkit
that was 30 years old: small electrolytic cap dried-out, became a
short-circuit, and blew-out the fuse (actually, it was a resistor that was
put there to behave as a fuse).

If you have a scope, look for AC voltages across an electrolytic; that's
usually a clue the cap is defective because it's unable to do any
filtering. After that, look for burn-spots or corroded traces (I didn't see
any on the photos). Wiggling potentiometers [I saw at least 1 in the photo]
might be worth trying, but that is risky because you dont know what they do
and you will probably affect the calibration. Over time, I think the wiper
contact can get dirty so wiggling it might help clear-away contaminants
that alter the resistance to the wiper. That pot looked like a high-quality
Bourns multi-trim, so you may want to leave it alone; the cheap 3/4 turn
units are the ones I consider suspect.