Hey Jim,
My response might not be what you are looking for, but what I did to keep
my clocks alive is I have them plugged into a small UPS.  Here in Florida,
during this time of year we get storms all the time.  I was actually able
to pick up used UPS units for next to nothing at yard sales, etc.  I have
replaced the batteries and have not had to set my clocks since last years
hurricane that took out power for about a week.

I do look forward to see what our designers have come up with.
Ron