Ron, William and Carl,

Thanks! I didn't even think about a UPS (KIS,S!). That might be the easiest
solution, and the little UPS that Carl suggested looks like it would work.
I guess I would like to try a circuit first - maybe I could learn
something. I found a couple of designs that give a 1pps output. I figured I
could switch on a transistor with the clock's 5V supply that would conduct
the 9VAC to the PIC, then switch another transistor that would open the
ground connection to the battery powered circuit. When the 9V goes away,
the 1pps signal would then turn on, and be sent to the PIC through a diode.
Is this a crazy idea? There are details to work out...

Thanks again, Jim