[Work in progress. If you receive this it means I hit Send by accident (or
forgot to delete this line)]

Yet another 50-something interested in all kinds of funky old electronics. Over
the decades I've:

A: Repaired cable TV amplifiers, power supplies and field-strength meters. Much
of this stuff was in very bad condition thanks to hurricanes, lightning
strikes, etc. I look back on those days as "electronic repair boot camp".

B: Installed satellite dishes, the 10 foot/3 meter kind. I injured my back
moving sacks of "just add water" concrete. I did several tall-pole
installations, aligning the dish while standing on three levels of scaffolding
with no safety railings, harness, etc. I was paid peanuts and had to put up
with an alcoholic pothead every day.

C: Worked in a retail optical lab surfacing (grinding and polishing) and
finishing (edging and putting in frames) lenses. I'll never work for a major
corporation again; Dr. Stanley Perle may have cared about his customers but not
so much his employees.

D: Was the jack-of-all-trades for what is now a large, famous software
developer during its seminal years. I did everything no one else knew how to do
as the company didn't have the money then to pay "real" professionals a decent
salary. I created databases, used several different DTP programs (I'm still
fluent in all of them), edited fonts, fixed computers, and laid out complex
documents in multiple languages that didn't use the Roman alphabet. I wrote
several applications in my beloved HyperCard (RIP—thanks, Steve) without which
I could never have gotten any of that done. Editing the Arabic fonts to satisfy
our translators was particularly fun.

I was utterly indispensable and paid peanuts. There was more than one version
of the product that would never have shipped on time (if at all) if I hadn't
been there to solve technical problems that were beyond the CS major college
students that made up the Tech Dept. They missed me when I left. Even offered
me more money (shock).

As you may have guessed from my signature this was all done on Macintosh
computers (or clones, which were available before Jobs took up the reins again
and killed HyperCard).

***

At this point I'm disabled, the old back injury being one piece of the puzzle.
I was drawn into the Nixie et al world about a year ago. Since then I've bought
up a number of parts and put a few kits together...

Threeneurons (Mike Moorrees): Dekatron Spinner, Nixie Thermometer
nixietester.com (Marcin Saj): Useless Nixie Device

I'm still waiting for someone to produce a kit for a voltmeter using IN-13s and
IN-9s. Not yet another "VU meter" or thermometer, a general purpose device with
a HV PS, adjustable input voltage range, and proper slew rate limiting and
"pulsing" for reliable operation. I'm ready to pay $$$ for some. If anyone has
already done it please tell me!

Finally, I have a small collection of vintage Nixie gear including a Systron
Donner Time Code Generator/Reader. It works beautifully as an industrial
quality, rack-mounted Nixie clock. No need to build another one. 8D

Oh, and I have a blog. Try not to laugh too hard at my amateurish attempts on
various fronts:

https://www.astarcloseup.com/

Terry Bowman, KA4HJH
"The Mac Doctor"