I have tried water based Pebeo Vitrail and been unable to get an even coating.
It dries quite slowly and I get a gradation as the coating slides down due to
gravity. Admittedly I was trying to coat 200mm test tubes, not a small nixie.
Maybe it’s OK for that but don’t try and coat a Dalibor.

You can make your own FEV, french enamel varnish, if you buy shellac, available
as dry flakes or liquid, some methylated spirits (aka denatured alcohol), and
some spirit dye of a suitable hue (usually this is a powder). Mix to suit.

John S