I agree with Greg, the voltage WRT Gnd is important for brightness (as its
what gives the electrons the incentive to move in the first place). Series
connected filaments on individual tube VFDs will give you a nice
demonstration of the same aformentioned problems with linearity of
brightness as DC driven filaments for long VFD displays.

By far the most used commercial approach I see (e.g. Nortake / Futaba VFD
panels that run on 5vdc) is to have a small PCB mounted coupled inductor
(fancy name for a smal high frequency transformer really) driven by a half
or full H-Bridge arrangement. Secondary winding driving the filament with a
center tap to main Ground.

Other lazy way applcable here is to just use a small 50hz mains transformer
as a PSU, with a center tapped secondary, center tied to ground - like
virtually every VFD bedside alarm clock ever made... I doubt it would
affect it if you also rectified each end of the winding with a diode and
used it for your electronics (I think the last VFD alarm clock I killed for
parts only had one center tapped winding on its transformer. They also tap
off one side pre-rectification and square it up for timekeeping...

As an aside, those DG12B tubes are beautiful!