VFDs are basically directly heated triodes. To reach cutoff, the grid has
to be at some negative potential in respect to the cathode. It is just
easier to elevate the cathode above ground and swing the grids to ground
than creating yet another voltage rail.
The question is - if the filaments were heated by a transformer with center
tap connected to, let's say, 5V, would there be any current flow from or
into the 5V rail? The grid + anode current has to go somewhere, after all.
It might mean that the elevated voltage has to be low impedance, and most
likely - it has to be able to sink current, which standard linear
regulators can't do. This is something that concerns me, as I own four
ILC1-1/7 and plan to make a clock out of them. Their anode and grid
currents are dominant compared to any other circuitry.