Yes! That's exactly what happens. The current through the center-tap is the
sum of the anode (segment) current and the grid current. And the peak
current through the filament wires is actually *greater* than just the
current to heat the filaments.

*Tomasz* - As you found out, those VFDs draw a lot of current. I have a
future design for a 6-tube ILC1-1/8 (smaller tubes than the ILC1-1/7) and
I'm just going to use a high-current filament transformer with the
center-tap at GND. Grids will NOT be pure DC; closer to full-wave rectified
around 15-16V. Segment anodes will be pure DC around 36-40V with
current-regulators and non-multiplexed.

I actually have an Op-amp summer+ADC+Software to monitor the current thru
the center-rap  on my NIMO clock to determine the tube health, though it's
orders of magnitude smaller (30uA per tube).