Nice Find.

Looking at those pics it seems clear to my eye that this has cathode
resistors rather than anode, one for each used cathode. These will then
likely be in three groups, Telefunken only, Varisign only and common to
both. This then yields one anode wire to all (red wire?)
 And three cathode wires (three blacks). It does look like they have only
put tails on used cathodes.
Circuit is likely a simple astable / flip flop with a pair of big
transistors for switching the cathodes, maybe with a variable amount of
capacitance on its base for the fade effect?

I would suggest an apprentice build back then, maybe the mechanics are nice
but I would say the electronics are fairly hum-drum.

My approach with this would be to remove the resistor strips, add missing
cathode wires, make up some ruler like PCBs with serial HV latches on and
replace the main veroboard with a PCB with your favourite micro / embedded
solution. This can take in / use the original switches and transformer so
with the back on it would look the same. You can then keep the bits removed
for archive or if there is enough space, mount new bits on top as a
mezzanine. Depends on your goals really, but as is it's more of a curio /
collector asset only really...

It would blow their minds back then to have scrolling dynamically updated
text, and would make use of all the segments (assuming those have not been
poisoned to oblivion with deposits).

For your current segment poisoning, you could parallel another fairly high
R resistor across the existing ones for that tube to up the drive.
Certainly no multiplexing going on here!

Are you certain they are not socketed? Looks odd with the wires
disappearing into the material like that.

Best of luck!

- Alex