[Always respond to the list, please.]

        This is almost certainly not a good idea.  Why write an entire agent?

> >        I know nothing about the ifXTable, so I can't be of
> much help, but I believe there is another relevant question
> here (which I also cannot answer, unfortunately): what is the
> growth behavior of the persistence file?  I assume that you
> are using the net-snmp persistence API.
> >

> Yep, that is my question: How big can the permanent storage get, in
> memory and disk?

        This is an extremely vague question, but the general answer is "the
amount of data you have to store, multiplied by the inefficiencies of the
storage method, plus leakage".  Since you have divulged nothing about your
implementation, I can offer no more help.

> C.

        HTH,

Mike