Hardaker.

Thanks for update.

I had bit confusion on  "snmpTrapdAddr"  Directives.  What actually i did
in conf file is " i assigned  remote host name to "snmpTrapdAddr" . Say  ,
Machine "xyz" sends trap messages to "abc" machine. In "abc" machine , i
have configured snmptrapd.conf file such that  "snmpTrapdAddr" pointing to
"abc" machine.

My assumption/intention  of   using "snmpTrapdAddr" is that, i would like
to  get trap messages from "xyz" machine. (means, get trap messages from
"xyz" machine only).

2) I am using "snmpget" command( say from abc machine)  to get sysuptime
of remote machine(say xyz machine sysuptime).  In remote machine (xyz) , i
ran snmpd command as  /usr/sbin/snmpd -f -Le -d  and i  have observed that
, the "sysuptime snmpget request from abc machine is displayed on screen"
but no response from "xyz" machine.

I have verified host file in both machine and i observed  that, the host
file of  abc machine  has  an entry for xyz machine and similarly for host
file of  xyz machine   have an entry for abc machine. And  also snmp.conf
file in xyz machine have entry " rocommunity  com_name  abc" .

                Please let us know why i am not getting response from xyz
machine.

Wes Hardaker <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Sent by: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
07/14/2008 19:10

Umesh Kamath/India/[EMAIL PROTECTED]
cc
net-snmp-users@lists.sourceforge.net
Subject
Re: SNMPD error (ASAP)

<[EMAIL PROTECTED]> said:

UK> couldn't open xyz.abc.att.com:1024 -- errno 227 ("Can't assign
requested
UK> address")

That's an odd error and the text comes from the system failing a DNS
lookup most likely.  What if you add xyz.abc.att.com to /etc/hosts, will
it work then?  (which is not a good long term solution, but it's a good
test).

UK> 2) I am able to snmpget in local  machine . But  when i am trying to
do
UK> same thing(snmpget)  from remote machine to first machine i am getting

UK> time out error.

UK> rocommunity  chan2063  abc.xyz.alt.com                  #
abc.xyz.alt.com
UK> is my remote machine host name from there i am running snmpget command

I still suspect that DNS is still failing (in this case, you said
alt.com and above you said att.com...)
--
Wes Hardaker
Sparta, Inc.