2009/1/8 Larry Brown <larry.br...@dimensionnetworks.com>:
>> > As I understand it the part of the OID that is returned depends on its
>> > existence in the MIB.
>>
>>       There is no "part of the OID".  OIDs (object identifiers) are atomic.

I'm not sure I agree.
The OID that is returned from a query naturally falls into two parts:

   -   the OID of the management object (as defined/described in the MIB file)
   -   the subidentifier suffix(es), specifying a particular instance
of this object

The subidentifier index is often a single value (for simple integer-based
tables or scalar objects), though it could also be a string, an IP address,
another OID or even several distinct values - depending on the definition
of the MIB object in question.

But there is a definite distinction between the base OID of the MIB object
and any instance subidentifiers.

>> > What I expected was some way of describing to the snmpd agent where to
>> > get the value to return.

That tends to be hard-coded into the agent (or subagent) binary.

And as Mike says, it will typically be different on different systems.
For example, the code for determining the list of printers on a box would
be different for Windows vs Solaris vs Mac OS vs Linux etc
   And it would probably be different for a CUPS-based setup vs LPRng
(so it's not just the O/S that would affect the necessary choice of code).

>               where can I find such a
> comprehensive list for my version of net-snmp?

   README.agent-mibs

Note that like any documentation, it's not necessarily fully accurate and
up-to-date.   And it won't include any additional subagents or extensions
that you might have configured.
   But this is likely to be the most informative description for any given
version of the agent.