On 6 April 2010 11:04, sanjaykumar <sanjay.ku...@globaledgesoft.com> wrote:
> Suppose I have to send inform to an ip addr. On that ip addr, snmptrapd is
> not running.

Then there's nothing to accept the notification.

> Approach 1. If we send get request with engine id NULL(engine id discovery
> process) , then no response will come. Lets assume our retry is 3, then we
> will send 3 get request for engine id discovery. As response has not come,
> we will not send the snmp inform

Which is reasonable, since there's nothing to accept it.

What I'm not 100% sure about is what happens if snmptrapd *is* running.
It would reject a GET request anyway, since it's a trap receiver, not an
SNMP agent.   But you'd need to work through the SNMPv3 Elements of
Procedure very carefully to check whether the engineID probe handling
is done before the invalid PDU is rejected, or not.

My guess is that it probably is, but I don't claim to be an SNMPv3 expert.
Check the specs.

> Approach 2: If we send snmp inform with wrong engine id(complete snmp inform
> with all varbinds like device status, time etc), then also no response will
> come. Lets assume our retry is 3, then we will send snmp inform(with wrong
> engine id and complete varbinds details) 3 times.

This feels safer - you're sending a probe request that would be accepted
as valid by the receiving engine.   So there's no likelihood that it will be
dropped before returning the error response.
   It *probably* makes no difference, but it feels safer to me.

> So my question is, if we follow approach 2, then is it  valid as per the
> SNMP standard ??????????

Yes.  I believe so.

Mike - do you wish to comment further?