The snmpd.conf I provided consists mostly of what's coming with snmp packages I
guess.

As I must in the end use SNMP v3, I was confused about what to use: r[ow]user,
r[ow]community, com2sec, group, view, access, or a mixture of some of them but
which ones?

I stepped back to SNMP v1 for my tests as I did not want to have too many
possible misunderstandings at the same time, and seemed to be getting nowhere.

So once /etc/snmp/snmpd.conf is stripped down to a single rocommunity line, I
get:

% snmpgetnext -v1 -c public localhost   ifName                        ~
IF-MIB::ifName.1 = STRING: lo

And I can snmpwalk from netSnmp, which gives hundreds of lines such as the
following:

NET-SNMP-VACM-MIB::nsVacmViewName."grpcomm1"."".0.noAuthNoPriv."read" = STRING:
_all_
NET-SNMP-VACM-MIB::nsVacmViewName."grpcomm1"."".0.noAuthNoPriv."write" =
STRING: none
NET-SNMP-VACM-MIB::nsVacmViewName."grpcomm1"."".0.noAuthNoPriv."notify" =
STRING: none
NET-SNMP-VACM-MIB::nsVacmViewName."grpsyncmux"."".3.authNoPriv."read" = STRING:
_all_
NET-SNMP-VACM-MIB::nsVacmViewName."grpsyncmux"."".3.authNoPriv."write" =
STRING: _all_
NET-SNMP-VACM-MIB::nsVacmViewName."grpsyncmux"."".3.authNoPriv."notify" =
STRING: _all_

which is a lot better.

Now if I add a rouser syncmux to the said snmpd.conf, I get

% snmpget -v3 -u syncmux -l noAuthNoPriv localhost sysDescr.0 sysUpTime.0
Error in packet
Reason: authorizationError (access denied to that object)

which is different from anything I had previously. So I'll look in that
direction.

Daniel