On 7 June 2012 17:59, Chayvialle, Daniel (External)
<daniel.chayvialle.exter...@cassidian.com> wrote:
> OK, so now I'm getting a bit confused regarding configuration file locations.
>
> I added a new user using the command line. It added lines in
> /var/net-snmp/snmpd.conf and /usr/local/share/snmp/snmpd.conf (whiwh is what
> the command snmpd -Dread_config -H 2>&1 | grep "Reading" | sort -u gives me,
> to my stupefaction)

Which snmpd binary are you running here?
The vendor-supplied one, or one that you've compiled yourself?

Try giving the full path to the binary, just to make sure.

> but after restarting the agent the user was unknown, so I placed those lines
> in /etc/snmp/snmpd.conf. > The user was then recognised but the lines did not
> disappear from any of those files.

It won't disappear from the /etc/snmp file, no.
The *only* config file that the agent re-writes is the one under /var.

> On top of this, I'm trying to follow the advice given to place the password
> not on the CLI but in ~/snmp.conf but to no avail as it seems.

Sorry - that's too vague to be clear as to what you're trying to do.