OK, so I found that my snmp commands actually did not find the MIBs, or more
precisely did not read /etc/snmp/snmp.conf, as I get the following whatever I
put in the said file:

if I put mibs +TCS-MIB

% snmpwalk -v3 -u test1 -l authPriv -a MD5 -A test1tcs -x DES -X test1tcs
localhost:port tcs
trace: read_config(): read_config.c, 796:
read_config: /etc/snmp/snmp.conf:15 examining: debugTokens agent/handler/snmpd
trace: run_config_handler(): read_config.c, 499:
read_config: Found a parser.  Calling it: debugTokens / agent/handler/snmpd
registered debug token agent/handler/snmpd, 1
tcs: Unknown Object Identifier (Sub-id not found: (top) -> tcs)

% snmpwalk -m ~/.snmp/mibs/TCS-MIB -v3 -u test1 -l authPriv -a MD5 -A test1tcs
-x DES -X test1tcs  localhost:port tcs
trace: read_config(): read_config.c, 796:
read_config: /etc/snmp/snmp.conf:15 examining: debugTokens agent/handler/snmpd
trace: run_config_handler(): read_config.c, 499:
read_config: Found a parser.  Calling it: debugTokens / agent/handler/snmpd
registered debug token agent/handler/snmpd, 1
/home/daniel/.snmp/mibs/TCS-MIB: No such file or directory
tcs: Unknown Object Identifier (Sub-id not found: (top) -> tcs)

% snmpwalk -m ~/.snmp/mibs/TCS-MIB.mib -v3 -u test1 -l authPriv -a MD5 -A
test1tcs -x DES -X test1tcs  localhost:port tcs
trace: read_config(): read_config.c, 796:
read_config: /etc/snmp/snmp.conf:15 examining: debugTokens agent/handler/snmpd
trace: run_config_handler(): read_config.c, 499:
read_config: Found a parser.  Calling it: debugTokens / agent/handler/snmpd
registered debug token agent/handler/snmpd, 1
TCS-MIB::tcs = No Such Object available on this agent at this OID

if I put mibs +TCS-MIB.mib

% snmpwalk -m ~/.snmp/mibs/TCS-MIB.mib -v3 -u test1 -l authPriv -a MD5 -A
test1tcs -x DES -X test1tcs  localhost:port tcs
trace: read_config(): read_config.c, 796:
read_config: /etc/snmp/snmp.conf:16 examining: debugTokens agent/handler/snmpd
trace: run_config_handler(): read_config.c, 499:
read_config: Found a parser.  Calling it: debugTokens / agent/handler/snmpd
registered debug token agent/handler/snmpd, 1
TCS-MIB::tcs = No Such Object available on this agent at this OID

% snmpwalk -v3 -u test1 -l authPriv -a MD5 -A test1tcs -x DES -X test1tcs
localhost:port tcs
trace: read_config(): read_config.c, 796:
read_config: /etc/snmp/snmp.conf:16 examining: debugTokens agent/handler/snmpd
trace: run_config_handler(): read_config.c, 499:
read_config: Found a parser.  Calling it: debugTokens / agent/handler/snmpd
registered debug token agent/handler/snmpd, 1
MIB search path:
/home/daniel/.snmp/mibs:/usr/share/mibs/site:/usr/share/snmp/mibs:/usr/share/mibs/iana:/usr/share/mibs/ietf:/usr/share/mibs/netsnmp:/home/daniel/.snmp/mibs
Cannot find module (TCS-MIB.mib): At line 0 in (none)
tcs: Unknown Object Identifier (Sub-id not found: (top) -> tcs)

even though I have

% ls -l /home/daniel/.snmp/mibs/TCS-MIB.mib                    ~
-rwxrwxr-x 1 daniel daniel 4548 20 juin  11:38
/home/daniel/.snmp/mibs/TCS-MIB.mib*

So I changed for a pass extension on which I a currently working. A basic
example that does not take my private mib structure into account works ONLY IF
I replace at the end of the module identity

    ::= { enterprises 16304 3665 }

which is the kind of thing I must have, with

    ::= { enterprises 16304 }

which is simpler but works even though it is not the expected structure

Thanks for any help,

Daniel Chayvialle