Hi Alan,

A long reflection I wrote yesterday, no need to read but feel free if you wish!
 🙂

+++

Today I was reading Canto 10, the first episode inside the gates of Purgatorio,
and what does Dante see first?  Paintings!  (Sort of.)

https://digitaldante.columbia.edu/dante/divine-comedy/purgatorio/purgatorio-10/

His first encounter, after passing the Gate to the strains of music and a brief
but tangled rocky climb through "the eye of the needle" up to the first
terrace, is with low-relief carvings, three, in a white wall of marble.  Though
still and silent, he "hears" them talking and singing, they are so perfect, the
first visible things on this level which is "a plateau lonelier than desert
paths."  These carved images of "visible speech" -- visibile parlare -- show
Dante and Virgil the examples of good behavior (to contrast with the nearby
real spirits who did not do right and carry heavy burdens of voluntary
self-reassessment).

https://commons.wikimedia.org/wiki/Category:Sandro_Botticelli%27s_illustrations_to_the_Divine_Comedy#/media/File:Botticelli,_Purgatorio_10.jpg

The confusing and sense-confounding character of these imaginative carvings is
worth noting, and persists throughout Purgatorio and the Commedia, as in this
example where a carving

"made
two of my senses speak—one sense said, 'No,'

the other said, 'Yes, they do sing'; just so,
about the incense smoke shown there, my nose
and eyes contended, too, with yes and no."

Dante says that not only Polycletus but nature itself is outdone by these
images, and goes on to describe "seeing" a conversation between the figures in
the third image, the dialogue seeming to occur sequentially like a film even
though the image is fixed:

'Among that crowd, the miserable woman
seemed to be saying: “Lord, avenge me for
the slaying of my son—my heart is broken.”

And he was answering: “Wait now until
I have returned.” And she, as one in whom
grief presses urgently: “And, lord, if you

do not return?” And he: “The one who’ll be
in my place will perform it for you.” She:
“What good can others’ goodness do for you

if you neglect your own?” He: “Be consoled;
my duty shall be done before I go:
so justice asks, so mercy makes me stay.”

This was the speech made visible....'

Virgil guides Dante's approach to visual art just as he does for poetry:  “Your
mind must not attend to just one part,” he says, advising Dante not to linger
too much over any detail of the images like a greenhorn or tourist.

At risk of hypocrisy here, noticing this from your dialogue:

"the body not as an element of techne but as an interalized and
politicized flow which is among other things a problem within
and without a digital or rather the digital can be seen as a
carapace or virus in relation to the body."

I'm not very knowledgeable about this realm of theory but it seems like the
metaphor or allegory of river as flow juxtaposed to bridge, canal, and
engineering could be compared to the relationship between body and techne.  My
vision is distorted by prolonged focus, but I perceive this as a core metaphor
in the Mona Lisa: the body and its flowing processes (respiratory, circulatory,
perceptual, cognitive, gestural, postural, expressive, communicative,
decisional) within the "architecture" of the bridge and garment which are in
turn both within and similar to while distinct from the natural landscape, and
are woven as by the action of a hand in brush or pen.

The cybernetic interpretations of the ML such as Plant's and Gibson's are not
entirely exhaustive I think, ignoring some of the painting's key physical
features and related writings by Leonardo (while citing some arguably
obsolescent theory like Freud) and might find grist by parsing the bridge and
garment as metaphor within a typical Renaissance frame of Art, Nature, and
Humanity.  Though I do not agree with Plant in Zeroes and Ones that "At the end
of the twentieth century, all notions of artistic genius, authorial authority,
originality, and creativity become matters of software engineering," I do find
aspects of her discussion of the Mona Lisa relevant, such as: "The Mona Lisa's
appeal is precisely the fact that the image does more than passively hang on
the gallery wall.  As her spectators always say, Mona Lisa looks at them as
much as, if not more than, they can look at her.  To the extent that it works
so well, Leonardo's picture is a piece of careful software engineering.  An
interactive machine has been camouflaged as a work of Western art."  Concurring
only partially with this, I would add that in our temporal place of
overestimation we fail to consider how well Leonardo saw and understood us
despite all our computers; and there is much more than the "mysterious woman"
cliche in his most intensively developed painting (though he knew precisely
that cliche would sustain the work and its renown indefinitely, reading future
generations very like a book and if reading is akin to writing who knows what
else).

Apropos of the body as flow vis-a-vis techne is this article, of which I was
notified by email news today:

https://www.theatlantic.com/science/archive/2021/06/the-brain-isnt-supposed-to-change-this-much/619145/

It seems to say that the neurons which learn a task like recognizing a specific
color are often replaced by other neurons which do the same thing, and are not
"carved in stone."  One sometimes senses this in long-term practice, where one
feels a different bodily involvement in the same task -- different neurons or
muscles hear the song, play the keys, draw the same shape, see the same plant.
We call this "seeing the same plant differently" but it may be related to
"seeing the same plant with different neurons" (as well as different eye
muscles, respiratory rate, stress hormones, etc.).  How efficient and logical
shifting neurons like this would be!  It's very organic too.  Why should we
expect the brain to work like cogs in a watch, or files in a directory?

The behavior neuroscience seems to find so astonishing is what they call
"representational drift," but no artist or even ordinarily expressive person
would find such drift anything but obvious.  Representation might even be best
described as exactly that: drift.  Nothing that is representational doesn't
drift, to put it another way; so why in heck would neuroscientists have thought
something so different and find this rather common-sense result so incredible?
Honestly I think it must have something to do with a too-mechanistic approach
overly influenced by society's imaginative and economic focus on machines for
most of modernity.  These aesthetic tendencies do unconsciously bleed over into
science, perhaps.  Or maybe in order for a discipline to gain respect it needs
to impress other disciplines, and if those others think in terms of machinery
then mechanistic neuroscience will succeed most and best or get the benefit of
the doubt more often and become the default for no actual reason at all.
Meanwhile network phenomena -- the bigger pictures -- remain unimagined and
hence invisible.

As to aphorisms, they are a favorite literary form of Leonardo's:  "The water
you touch in a river is the last of that which has passed, and the first of
that which is coming.  Thus it is with time present."

All best,

Max

PS -- I know all too well how easy it is to reject all Renaissance culture as
"humanist," say we are now "post-humanist," and leave it at that.  So tidy!
Yet arguably, so incorrect.  Leonardo was anything but a normal Humanist
compared to the mainstream academics of his time.  He ventured into tons of
ideas we now think we are discovering for the first time -- or thought so 20
years ago.  Moreover, ideas don't punch a clock.  Someone in the 6th century
can think ideas and write about them with uncanny similarity to someone say 12
centuries later, given the right blend of circumstances, like Archimedes and
Newton.  Every present era likes to say "no one could ever think freely before
us, bound as they were by their times!"  Just fathom the absurdity of that a
while.  We like to think, until everyone was modern no one was modern -- also
absurd.  Some thinking or imaging can be easily thousands of years ahead of or
behind its contemporaneous "average," and much changes very little through
time.  Like today: we're still mostly medieval, with a bit of modern thrown in,
same as Leonardo; so five or seven centuries separation is virtually nothing.
Yes, it is easy to say "Leonardo was a plain vanilla Humanist and projecting
organic network models of nature and representation from your postmodern
browsings onto him is unjustifiable."  Maybe sometimes that's even correct.
Yet, if you read Leonardo's words in the context of his images he was clearly
organic and network in outlook, prima facie, and arguably more postmodern than
any postmodernist.  Again, so easy to discard: "outdated Humanist."  Maybe,
maybe not.