Hi Max,

You say "I 'm not very knowledgeable about this realm of theory but it
seems like the metaphor or allegory of river as flow juxtaposed to bridge,
canal, and engineering could be compared to the relationship between body
and techne." - at least in my work, not at all, or rather the opposite, if
opposites could be considered flows. Techne is application, attachment,
gaps, definable networks, inputs and outputs, Euler bridges, etc. I work
through the tawdry, sleazy, problematic, oozing, somatic ghosting, splatter
semiotics, etc., within and without there is no conceivable bridge or river
or canal, as if there were a roiling simultaneity of foam or fluxion...
This is critical; otherwise the body becomes a system of inputs and
outputs, and hence absorbable into concrete and even finite networking. I
think on the other hand of Kristeva's abject, even the final sections of
Being and Nothingness, not a return to an antiquated existential
philosophy, but an acknowledgment of an interiority of consciousness and
body, as well as the unconscious, that may not be susceptible to the kinds
of articulation implied in bridge, canal, river, etc. etc. Reading
Sheldrake (who's infuriating btw), molds and fungi and I think even
microbiomes themselves need an utterly different vocabulary to think about
- or as I figure it, there's culture all the way down, everywhere that
biological life and flow/roiling occurs - or as I think Heinz von Foerster
put it, (maybe not him), where you find negation, you find life and
culture. I think of negation as "not both A and B" or its inverse "neither
A nor B" - both opening up, perhaps, territories of in/articulation -

Best Alan, thanks!

Best, Alan