Sorry Alan, to be clear I don’t think machines have an unconscious either. I
should have been more precise: I’m talking about the tools of interpretation
for the machine’s output, especially if one approaches generated text in a
psychoanalytic framework (Freudian / Lacanian). There are illusions of an
unconscious there, and so my question is: what are we interpreting when we do
that? What connections in the neural net can be unraveled through that process?

Freud used to say that dream analysis worked to give meaning to dreams from the
process of describing them. Cinema can work in the same way. The “generative”
text must offer the same potential, because the act of interpreting it is
human, and unconscious. Do cinema and dreams bring things out in different
ways? If so, what might generative text bring that is unique to itself as a
medium?

I want to dive deeper into your article here, it looks great. Thank you for
sharing!

-e.