Hi Alan,
I have to disagree. In a neural network, the text that we're seeing
produced is the product of terabytes of human activity, scraped off of the
web, collectively, and generalized to language pairs. How the machine
determines how to answer a question is still a black box question. And yes:
the illusions are coming from me, in response to the text. It's projection:
I want to make that clear. But there are hooks and lures in the medium that
merit special scrutiny.

When you talk about human rights: yes, it's important. And understanding
our relationship to the "AI imaginary" is the first step to understanding
and unraveling the harms that algorithms can perpetuate! GANs, for example,
can create human faces from scratch, but you will notice that it is worse
at generating images of black women than white men. That's the result of
the bias inherent in the training material; the same biases incorporated
into algorithmic surveillance tools. You can see it manifested there, just
as you could analyze a film for evidence of toxic ideologies.

But we have been thinking about how we watch films, and how we describe
dreams, for much longer than we have talked about how we read and extend
ourselves into generated images and text. Though maybe there are deeper
histories to this (Weizenbaum observed it with ELISA, and faulted the
people seduced by it, but this is something else, I would argue!)

Thanks for the thinking.
-eryk