i think simon just ably demonstrated why putting things in 'a more everyday,
comprehensive lanuguage, was/is problematic: you need four times the amount
of words to say the same thing. why write 'i put my pen on the table' when
you could write 'i put my plastic-and-ink-writing-tool' on the
'wooden-platform-held-up-on-four-wooden-legs'? cos the former is simpler
than the latter. accessibility is good up to a point: but introduce lifts
into multi-storey buildings for the aid of the disabled and you also create
the knock-on effect of making the able-bodied less fit and lazier by giving
them an effort-free mechanism of going upstairs. much better for the body -
and mind - to take the stairs as before.

yeah, the language isn't easy to grasp, but the effort of doing so is
probably more rewarding than the effort of simplifying at-first-inaccessible
academic prose.

2009/2/3 bob catchpole <bobcatchp...@yahoo.co.uk>

> Simon,
>
> Thanks for the translation, it's fortunate you're on the list! Don't you
> think the text, drafted in a language largely understandable by academics,
> is guilty of the very thing it claims to be researching? That is, how and
> why people are excluded from contested spaces?
>
> If the text spoke in a more everyday, comprehensible language do you think
> it might invite wider engagement?
>
> Language is power. Often to exclude or oppress, no?
>
> Bob

richtextformat Ltd. | company number: 06699372
http://richtextformat.co.uk | ad...@richtextformat.co.uk | 078 0706 2090