On 3 Feb 2009, at 10:52, Simon Biggs wrote:

It is clear to me and I have no problems with the language.

The section that states “the potential of translocally networked spatial practices”
translocational potential of networked spacial practices ?

this strain raises an interesting opportunity to discuss the nature of mail groups. is this a space for announcements ? from my reading so far, net behaviour does not seem like an announcement list, rather an experiment. informal lists are vital threshing grounds for the development of ideas, but also for personal development within disciplines which an individual may be dislocated from, if even in an extreme level of profoundity.

making a comparison between blogging, website publication, online text archives and the group mailing list, it seems that the nature of the group mailing list is far better suited to development rather than announcement - it's just as easy to access a personal, creative, organisational or events website which - even if it is an undeveloped blog by means of aesthetic - holds an equal capacity to relay more refined "publishable" materials.

could have been more simply written, however it is clear in what it says – that the research is engaging the potential of networked practices by practitioners who are interested in spaces that transcend the local (the way it was originally written was better). The next section, which states

“urban network processes, spaces of geocultural crises, and forms of cultural participation and self-determination” is equally clear. Urban network processes are events that occur in urban environments within the network infrastructures of which such environments are composed (communications and transport are examples). Geocultural crises are crises that are caused by geocultural issues. This is shorthand for the post-colonial politics around access to land based resources by different cultural groups (Gaza is an example here, as is Darfur). I do not see what the problem is with the sub- phrase “cultural participation and self-determination”. It seems clear as it seeks to conflate the individuation of self (the forging of self) with participation in social activities (that is, the self depends on others to come into being). Sites of “alternative urban engagement” simply refers to places where non- normalised social activities can be pursued and social groupings can form that facilitate those who do not conform to dominant social norms (eg: raves, biker cafes, hardcore clubs, etc). The last three words are, I agree, a little confusing. What is the object of the phrase “emerging architectural cultures”. Does this refer to cultures composed of architects or to cultures that are shaped by architecture? I would assume the latter, but the grammar employed here is, I agree, not very clear.

Overall the text is clear and in its linguistic form usefully suggests what its cultural origins are (left intellectual academic). The text as a whole clearly states that its concern is with who gains access to and rights of definition of social and economic infrastructure in culturally contested urban spaces and what the implications are for the communities and individuals involved.

Where is there a problem with that?

Regards

Simon