I thought forking was intrinsic to open source mentality, the possibility of
taking what's out there and driving it somewhere else. Keeping one singular
path instead of forking I guess requires a top-down strategy, doesn't it?

However I see there a tension that I never quite understood how is solved in
practical code development. If everybody took different directions we would
be left with infinite parallel options and would be missing the point of
working together on one particular project to make it stronger. I guess open
source culture is about reaching a balance between the two. Still don't know
exactly how it works in practice. How does ubuntu evolves out of so many
people working for example? How is it all put together? Who decides what's
to be included and what not?

--
Olga P Massanet