  From: Rob Myers
  To: netbehaviour@netbehaviour.org
  Sent: Tuesday, November 22, 2011 10:36 AM
  Subject: Re: [NetBehaviour] UCDavis events

  On 22/11/11 15:11, Simon Biggs wrote:

  > The story below indicates things move fast, are not always reported
  > accurately and that people sometimes find themselves in impossible

  The original reports have been confirmed by multiple eye witnesses and
  multiple video recordings.

  > positions. Nevertheless, they should take responsibility. Perhaps

  The chancellor's taking of responsibility appears to be purely a verbal
  rather than a moral act.

  > something good will come out of this horrible mess, if the UC system
  > ends up changing its regulations on campus policing?

  That would be a good outcome. As would a fourth amendment case against
  the university that will establish actual discouragements for chemically
  assaulting peacefully protesting students rather than just a temporary
  change in regulations that can be rolled back as soon as the current
  intake graduate.

  I don't disagree that engaging with the students might be more
  productive than refusing to engage with their attackers. But this is a
  situation where anyone who can bring pressure to bear on the university
  administration *now* rather than in six months time should strongly
  consider doing so.

  - Rob.