Hi all,

James Fallows wrote an interesting article linked to the UC Davis police
incident...

wishing you well.

marc

The Moral Power of an Image: UC Davis Reactions.

Apart from the updates that a variety of readers sent yesterday about
the affectless sadism of a UC Davis policemen, let me mention a few more
links and resources:

1) Notice the crowd. This is a point I wish I had made the first time
around. While the first 60 seconds of the 8-minute YouTube video are
dominated by the shockingly calm brutality of the policeman, the rest of
it is remarkable mainly for the stoicism and resolve of the protestors.
You don't have to idealize everything about them or the Occupy movement
to recognize this as a moral drama that the protestors clearly won. The
self-control they show, while being assaulted, reminds me of grainy TV
footage I saw as a kid, of black civil rights protestors being
fire-hosed by Bull Connor's policemen in Alabama. Or of course the Tank
Man in Tiananmen Square. Such images can have tremendous, lasting power.
(Classic AP photo from the early 60s below, followed by Brian Nguyen
photo from Davis.)

http://www.theatlantic.com/national/archive/2011/11/the-moral-power-of-an-image-uc-davis-reactions/248778/