Hi Dave,

I'm not sure why it is controversial - perhaps it is to them ;-)

marc

sounds great, good idea and might use this, but how is it controversial?

On Nov 5, 2013 4:53 PM, "marc garrett" <marc.garr...@furtherfield.org <mailto:marc.garr...@furtherfield.org>> wrote:

    Controversial New Project Uses Algorithm To Predict Art.

    We're all susceptible to FOMO, the dreaded Fear Of Missing Out.

    Popularized by Sherry Turkle's 2011 bestseller, Alone Together, the
    acronym refers to the uniquely alienating experience of scrolling
    through social media hubs like Facebook and feeling like everyone's
    doing things without you and before you.

    But what if that same technology told you what to do before everyone
    else? That's the premise of a futuristic new project, "The Fear Of
    Missing Out," by artist Jonas Lund. While Lund roots his experiment in
    art creation, his concerns are widely resonant: Can data be used to
    predict cultural flashpoints before we can? And if so, should we
    harness
    that power?

    The project hinges on an algorithm designed by Lund. Using it, an
    artist
    can theoretically determine the ideal work to create at a given
    point in
    her career, before she's thought of it herself.

    more...

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2013/11/05/jonas-lund-art-algorithm_n_4214211.html

--->

A living - breathing - thriving networked neighbourhood -
proud of free culture - claiming it with others ;)

Other reviews,articles,interviews
http://www.furtherfield.org/reviews.php

Furtherfield -- online arts community, platforms for creating, viewing,
discussing and learning about experimental practices at the
intersections of art, technology and social change.
http://www.furtherfield.org

Furtherfield Gallery -- Finsbury Park (London).
http://www.furtherfield.org/gallery

Netbehaviour - Networked Artists List Community.
http://www.netbehaviour.org

http://identi.ca/furtherfield
http://twitter.com/furtherfield