On 05/11/13 08:53 AM, marc garrett wrote:

> The project hinges on an algorithm designed by Lund. Using it, an artist
> can theoretically determine the ideal work to create at a given point in
> her career, before she’s thought of it herself.

Who's the (young?) British artist who was using a program to generate
instructions for works of art about a decade ago? My books are in
storage and Google is failing me. :-(

As with that program, the source to this one isn't being released but
the description of the program in the article is complete enough that it
could be reimplemented. Scrape Art Sales Index and/or Artsy and pull out
keywords to populate a database keyed on artist and gallery details.
Abstract them through Wordnet for bonus points.

What's interesting about the text described in the article is that it's
imperative and specific: "place the seven minute fifty second video loop
in the coconut soap". How did the instruction get generated?
Descriptions of artworks describe their appearance and occasionally
their construction, not how to assemble them. If it's a grammatical
transformation of description text that fits the description of the
project, but if it's hand assembled that's not just a database that has
been "scraped into existence". How did the length of time get generated?
If there's a module to generate durations that doesn't fit the
description of the project, but if it's a reference to an existing 7.50
video it does.

The pleasant surprises in the output are explained by De Bono-style
creativity theory. And contemporary art oeuvres tend to be materially
random enough that the randomness of the works produced looks like an
oeuvre...

Later, the article mentions the difficulty of targeting specific
artists. A Hirst generator would be easy enough to create for works that
resemble his existing oeuvre. Text generators powered by markov chains
were used as a tool for parodying Usenet trolls, and their strength lies
in the predictability of the obsessed.

Pivoting to a new stage in an artist's career is something that would
require a different approach. It's possible to move, logically, to
conceptual opposites using Douglas Hofstadter's "Slipnet" approach. In
the case of Hirst, cheap and common everyday materials (office
equipment) become expensive and exclusive ones (diamonds) and the animal
remains become human ones.

Anyway, this project as a whole makes visible an aspect of How Things
Are Done Now. This is "big data being used to guide the organization".
What's interesting is both how much such an approach misses and how much
it does capture. As ever, art both reveals and fills in the gaps of
ideology.