From: Thomas Graf <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Date: Tue, 26 Jul 2005 01:38:08 +0200

> Therefore I'd say stick to the device pointers for now to be on the
> safe side, in case we're missing a 4 bytes saving for cacheline
> reasons we can think about this again and defuse the worst case a
> bit by increasing NETDEV_HASHBITS.

Ok...  while looking more deeply at the input_dev refcount
issue, I learned something.  We never grab a reference
to skb->dev even on output :-)  we hold an implicit reference,
I am guessing, via skb->dst and that's why this works.

But how can this possibly work for skb->dst'less packets (such as IPV4
ARP generated frames)?

Hmmm... it is too obvious to be a true hole.

Alexey?