Hi,

Pedro Ramalhais wrote:
> Yes, i might want to bring the card UP so that it can scan, but don't
> want to associate. Or bring the card UP and configure the card in
> Monitor mode. Or bring the card UP and configure the card in Master
> mode. Maybe ad-hoc too, not sure.

Yes, that sounds useful. Bringing an interface UP means
"I want a physical layer connection" in the network layer.

If a card is UP I can do the follwing:

- Passively listening on the medium (scanning traffic)
- Checking for physical layer problems
  (e.g. signal levels, bandwith, duplex)
- Being detected by NICs on the same network segment

By bringing an interface DOWN, I administrativly FORBID this all.
By bringing it UP, I adminstrativly ALLOW this all.

This is what the admin expect "ip set link up/down" to do, nothing more,
nothing less. "ifconfig" can do more, but this is for historical reasons
and no useful example for an interface.

If you could map all this somehow to a WLAN, you are on the right way.
Everything beyond this can be done later or before.

Maybe that helps you for developing useful admin interface.

Regards

Ingo Oeser